1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Amy Van Deusen

The Top Male Gymnast of All Time

By February 8, 2008

Scherbo Blog
Vitaly Scherbo
Photo © Mike Powell / Getty Images

Who would you name as the best male gymnast ever? There’s a long list of gymnastics legends – each making his own impact on the sport of gymnastics. Mitsou Tsukahara invented a vault technique that is still used worldwide. Nikolai Andrianov won 7 Olympic gold medals in three different Olympics. Valeri Liukin was such a daredevil that he has the triple back flip on floor named after him.

It’s tough to pick just one, but if I had to, I would choose Vitaly Scherbo. Scherbo absolutely dominated the 1992 Olympics – winning 6 gold medals in a very talented field. Though he didn’t win any gold in his next Olympics, his 4 bronzes in 1996 proved he was still a top contender. Well known for his style and ability to hit cold under pressure, Scherbo was incredible to watch.

A few Scherbo routines:
Now it's your turn: Who is your pick for all-time best – and why?

Comments

February 9, 2008 at 2:14 pm
(1) Lisa L. says:

I vote for Alexei Nemov. He was great! But SCherbo was really good too.

February 9, 2008 at 11:42 pm
(2) Rick McCharles says:

Scherbo, for sure.

For me, though, Li Ning was even more revolutionary.

February 10, 2008 at 3:05 am
(3) Garret says:

I think Paul Hamm could be, if he does well this year and beyond. For now I vote Scherbo too, and I think Li Xiapoeng is very good, though not an all-arounder.

February 10, 2008 at 8:44 pm
(4) Anna says:

Nemov and Scherbo are both great – but I really admire the durability of Jordan Jovtchev. I don’t know what his medal count is, but he has earned world and Olympic medals for at least a dozen years! That’s impressive!

February 10, 2008 at 10:36 pm
(5) matt says:

I vote for any of the old-school Soviet men. They were so good with incredbile difficulty and technique.

February 7, 2013 at 3:44 am
(6) juan says:

And, of course, Grigory Misiutin, whose elegance in many of his routines were of great excellence.