An NCAA Heavyweight:
One year later, Mikulak placed second all-around (to Olympic teammate Jake Dalton) and won high bar.
A Great 2012:
Mikulak had the highest all-around total of any competitor during the first night of the 2012 Olympic Trials. Though he was limited to only doing pommel horse on night two because of an injured ankle, Mikulak's strong credentials from 2012 placed him on the London Olympic team.
In the individual event finals, Mikulak placed fifth on vault, with a Kasamatsu double (similar to a Tsukarahara entry, with three twists off the horse) and a stuck handspring double front. (Watch Sam Mikulak on vault.)
Mikulak calls Newport Coast, Calif. his hometown, and has a younger sister Alex.
Follow Sam on Twitter at @SamuelMikulak.
- 2012 Olympic Games, London, England - 5th-Team, VT
- 2012 Kellogg's Pacific Rim Championships, Everett, Wash. - 1st-Team; 2nd-AA, VT, HB; 3rd-PH, PB
- 2011 Puerto Rico Cup, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico - 2nd-Team
- 2009 Junior Pan American Championships, Aracaju, Brazil - 2nd-Team, FX; 3rd-VT; 4th-AA, PB; 7th-HB
- 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials, San Jose, Calif. - 5th-PH
- 2012 Visa Championships, St. Louis, Mo. - 2nd-PB; 3rd-AA; 4th-VT; 5th-PH, HB
- 2012 National Qualifier, Colorado Springs, Colo. - 4th-PB; 6th-PH
- 2012 NCAA Men's Gymnastics Championships, Norman, Okla. - 1st-HB; 2nd-AA(T); 6th-Team; 8th-PB
- 2012 Winter Cup Challenge, Las Vegas, Nev. - 2nd-PB; 7th-SR(T), HB
- 2011 NCAA Men's Gymnastics Championships, Columbus, Ohio - 1st-AA; 3rd-FX; 4th-PB; 5th-Team; 7th-VT
- 2011 Winter Cup Challenge, Las Vegas, Nev. - 2nd-VT
- 2010 Visa Championships, Hartford, Conn. - 1st-AA, PH, PB(T), HB; 2nd-FX, VT; 3rd-SR (Jr. 16-18)
- 2010 Men's Junior Olympic National Championships, Knoxville, Tenn. - 1st-AA, FX, VT; 2nd-HB; 3rd-PB; 6th-PH, SR (L10 16-18)
- 2009 Visa Championships, Dallas, Texas - 2nd-AA, FX, PH, SR, PB; 7th-VT (Jr., 14-15)
- 2009 Men's Junior Olympic National Championships, Cincinatti, Ohio - 2nd-AA, HB, PB, SR; 3rd-VT; 4th-PH
- 2008 Men's Junior Olympic National Championships, Battle Creek, Mich. - 1st-VT; 2nd-HB; 3rd-SR; 4th-AA
- 2008 Visa Championships, Houston, Texas - 2nd-AA, FX, HB; 3rd-SR, VT; 4th-PH(T); 6th-PB (Jr., 14-15)
- 2007 Visa Championships, San Jose, Calif. - 1st-VT; 2nd-AA, HB; 3rd-PB (Jr. Div.)
- 2007 Men's Junior Olympic National Championships, Oklahoma City, Okla. - 1st-AA; 2nd-FX; 3rd-PH, SR; 5th-VT
- 2006 Men's Junior Olympic National Championships, Battle Creek, Mich. - 1st-FX; 2nd-AA, PH; 4th-PB (T); 5th-VT(T)