From the article: Motivational Quotes for Gymnasts -- from Famous Gymnasts
Gymnasts get all kinds of weird questions from non-gymnasts. Has anyone ever asked you if you do the rope climb? Or if you can do a handstand (of course you can!) What's the funniest question you've ever been asked? Share Your Strangest
With the ribbons?
- This one girl knows I go to gymnastics practice all day, practically every day, and when I told her I had tore my ACL, she was completely confused. "Wait, but all you do is spin a ribbon all day!" I rolled my eyes and walked away. I don't "spin ribbons" in artistic gymnastics.
- —Guest MK
- I get asked which events I do ALL the time! So I say all of them and they go"well do you do the balance beam?" And then they ask about every single one and I already told them I do all of them. And once they finish with asking about women's they start to ask things like "do you do rings?" And I ask them if I look like a boy.
- —Guest Emma
- Me and another gymnast in my school are always asked ''Does it hurt when you do the splits?'' Of course, that's why I'm doing them! :P
- —Guest Kierra
- i was once asked if i could do a bridge. you don't even need to be a gymnast to do that!
- —Guest Lucy
Some people are dumb
- I always get asked f I can do a flip on the bars. DO YOU MEAN BEAM!??! like gosh people are dumb
- —Guest Lindsey
Funny Gymnastics Question
- My best friend was like can you do a backbend? And I was like don't know I'll try. So I tried and I did it. My friend was so amazed. It was sooooo funny.
- —Guest Guest Susie
- I once got asked if we can do it over or in a pool!
- —Guest Annie
- I got asked if that was fat then I flexed and his eyes went as big as a hippo I was like ya now you no I'm not fat hahahaha
- —Guest Stupid boys gym is for girls
Rhythmic vs. Artistic
- In Spain most people think of rhythmic gymnastics when you say, "I do (artistic) gymnastics". I am often asked (and I think it's a quite rude remark, in my humble opinion): "Aren't you too short and fat to be a gymnast?" I'm the same size as Oksana Chusovitina... Fat?? :(
- —Guest Cristina MJ
Silly Gymnastics Questions
- My friend found out that I was a gymnast and he asked me to do a cartwheel..but I decided to show off a little and I threw him a standing back tuck (we were on the grass). After I did it he was amazed...haha I thought it was the funniest thing :).
- —Guest Jordan
Olympics and Gymnastics
- "How was the Olympics?" LOL. Just because you are a gymnast, people somehow think all gymnasts are in the Olympics! Just goes to show you that not many people know anything about the sport until it is on the TV every four years for the Summer Olympics...
- —Guest Nicole Cooper
- I once got asked if I wore a swimsuit! I'm serious! I was like, "It's called a leotard!"
- —Guest Sam
- I always get asked if I can do an iron cross, and I'm a female gymnast! I don't know why, everyone seems to know that one skill.
- —Guest Meredith M.
Ridiculous Gymnastics Question
- I once got asked if we vaulted over real horses! I guess now that it's called the "vault table" he would have asked if it was a dining room table!
- —Guest Ramona