The Olympic Floor Medalists
Photo © Jed Jacobsohn / Getty Images
Still, there were some very exciting moments as well. China's Xiao Qin, the three-time World Champion on pommel horse, finally won Olympic gold as well. On vault, North Korea's Hong Un Jong was the first female to win Olympic gold for her country with the same two vaults that Cheng performed. Oksana Chusovitinia, who at age 33 is competing in her fifth Olympics -- an unheard-of feat in women's gymnastics -- won the silver.
On floor, Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin went 2-3 respectively with great routines, but were edged out by Romania's Sandra Izbasa. Still, both Liukin and Johnson have now earned three Olympic medals.
The other two Americans competing were both shut out of the medals. Alicia Sacramone hit both of her vaults (Yurchenko double twist, front handspring 1 1/2) but ended up fourth. On the men's side, Sasha Artemev fell off pommel horse and finished seventh.
1. Zou Kai, China 16.050
2. Gervasio Deferr, Spain 15.775
3. Anton Golotsutkov, Russia 15.725
Menís Pommel Horse:
1. Xiao Qin, China 15.875
2. Filip Ude, Croatia 15.725
3. Louis Smith, Great Britain 15.725*
1. Hong Un Jong, North Korea 15.650
2. Oksana Chusovitina, Germany 15.575
3. Cheng Fei, China 15.562
1. Sandra Izbasa, Romania 15.650
2. Shawn Johnson, USA 15.500
3. Nastia Liukin, USA 15.425
*Tie scores are broken based on execution (B score) deductions