In 2006, she tore her shoulder competing at the World Championships, but came back to earn a berth on the 2008 Olympic team.
Grit and Determination:
In 2006, Memmel injured her shoulder on bars during worlds but stayed in the competition. One rotation later she made a miraculous save on beam: one foot slipped on her front tuck (1:15 on video clip), but she somehow managed to avoid a fall.
At the 2008 Olympics, Memmel injured her foot in practice, but still competed on bars for the US team. Later, it was revealed that she had a fracture in her foot.
A Family Sport:
Sisters Mara and Skyler both have done competitive gymnastics as well. Mara currently coaches at M&M Gymnastics, and Skyler is in the Junior Olympic program and hopes to become an elite.
Memmel's favorite gymnastics event is bars. In her free time she likes to shop, hang out with friends, read, and go to movies.
- 2008 Olympics: 2nd team
- 2007 Good Luck Beijing Olympic Test Event: 5th all-around; 3rd beam; 3rd floor
- 2006 World Championships: 2nd team; placed 1st in the all-around preliminaries but had to withdraw from the competition with a shoulder injury
- 2006 Pacific Alliance Championships: 1st team; 1st all-around (tie with Nastia Liukin); 1st beam; 2nd floor
- 2005 World Championships: 1st all-around; 2nd uneven bars; 2nd beam
- 2005 Pan American Games: 1st team; 1st all-around; 1st bars; 1st beam
- 2005 American Cup: 1st bars; 3rd beam
- 2004 Pan American Games: 1st bars; 1st beam
- 2004 American Cup: 3rd all-around; 2nd bars; 3rd beam
- 2003 World Championships: 1st team; 8th all-around; 1st bars
- 2003 Pan American Games: 1st team; 1st all-around; 1st bars; 3rd beam
- 2008 US Olympic Trials: 3rd all-around; 2nd bars; 2nd beam; 2nd floor (tie)
- 2008 Visa Championships (US Nationals): 3rd all-around; 2nd bars; 4th beam; 4th floor
- 2006 Visa Championships (US Nationals): 4th all-around; 4th beam; 3rd floor
- 2005 Visa Championships (US Nationals): 2nd all-around; 2nd bars; 2nd beam; 3rd floor
- 2005 US Classic: 4th all-around; 3rd bars; 2nd beam
- 2003 US Nationals: 10th all-around; 7th bars; 6th beam
- 2002 US Nationals (Jr. Division): 3rd all-around; 3rd beam; 2nd floor
- 2002 US Classic (Jr. Division): 4th all-around; 3rd beam; 3rd floor
Top 2008 American Olympic Gymnasts
Top Contenders Worldwide in 2008
Go to the 2008 Olympics Main Page